CAKE on Google Code
CAKE is a scenegraph library for the canvas tag. You could say that it's like SVG sans the XML and not be too far off. This page is a showcase of CAKE feature tests.
Things CAKE adds to canvas
- Keeps track of the current transformation matrix [bug]. Basically duplicating canvas's entire transformation system.
- Fixes Firefox's isPointInPath() [bug, WONTFIX]. Implements isPointInPath on browsers that lack it (Safari [bug, FIXED], Opera 9.2), with accurate tests for circles and rectangles, and inaccurate bounding box test for paths.
- Implements transform() and setTransform() (thanks dojo) on browsers that don't have them (Firefox 2, Safari [bug].)
- Transforms for patterns and gradients, SVG-style. Probably doesn't work on Opera. A pattern-space transformation matrix would be nice.
- Linux x86 (64-bit): Firefox 2, Firefox 3b
- iPhone: Safari
- Linux x86 (32-bit): Firefox 2
- Windows XP: Firefox 2, Firefox 3b, Safari 3b, Opera 9.5b
Firefox 3 beta weird choppiness on x86_64 Linux [bug], no drop shadows [bug], globalAlpha doesn't affect patterns [bug], mozDrawText API lacks a way to get the font height and baseline [bug]
Firefox 2.0 no text, non-pattern images are slow, no drop shadows, globalAlpha doesn't affect patterns
Safari 3 no toDataURL [bug, FIXED], no text, no-repeat image patterns break when transforming [bug, FIXED], linear gradients get ugly when rotating [bug, maybe related], runs like a bat out of hell
Opera 9.5 beta no text, no drop shadows, some broken (and slow) composite operations, scaled circle strokes are buggy (small gap between first and last point)
Opera 9.2 some basic features work, scaled circle strokes are buggy, slow
IE a couple things work with ExplorerCanvas but it gets VERY SLOW after a few hundred frames
Canvas wishlist, roughly in order of importance
- Access to the current transformation matrix
- Pattern-space transformation matrix
- SVG filters
- A text API with: CSS style object as ctx.style (not string), text as path, text along path [as path], font metrics, fast selection path with text bbox rectangles
- Groups (like in Cairo)
- Conical gradients, object space gradients, repeating gradients, mirrored gradients, etc.
- More blend modes. At least multiply, screen, darken, lighten, color and value. Overlay would be nice too. Maybe soft light, difference, dodge and burn as well.
- SVG fill rules
- drawElement for drawing HTML elements
- Dashed strokes
- Rename 'lighter' to 'add' and 'darker' to 'subtract'.
Email: ilmari.heikkinen gmail com